Does a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Shed?
Yes, Tollers shed, however, they are low maintenance dogs when it comes to grooming. A weekly brush to prevent tangles and remove loose hairs, a daily brush in spring and autumn when the Toller sheds more due to shedding season. We own a Toller so I have some great tips you can read in this article to make your life even easier when it comes to shedding.
The Toller has a medium length, water-repellent double coat which sheds all year round, like most other dog breeds. However, in spring and autumn, the Toller sheds more heavily so more frequent brushing will be needed. When our Toller Stippy, who is an adult male of 4,5 years old, is not in shedding season I brush him every week. When it’s shedding season I brush him daily or every other day.
When my husband and I decided we wanted a dog and when after research we fell in love with the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever breed, I also wanted to know about how much Tollers shed. Vacuuming the house is not a huge hobby of mine so I preferably wanted a low maintenance dog with a low amount of shedding. Well, I can tell you, Tollers do shed but the breed is too amazing not to have in your life only because of shedding. Because they are long-haired dogs, the hairs that they lose form little furballs so in my experience they’re much easier and faster to remove than hairs of short-haired dogs. That’s a plus!
How To Make Life With a Shedding Toller Easier?
Our Toller Stippy sheds all year round and in this period (it’s the end of March at the moment I write this blog) he sheds heavier due to shedding season so we vacuum more! We used to have a “standard” vacuum cleaner with vacuum cleaner bags and electric cord which worked okay but it took me a lot of time before all the hairs were gone.
I have lower back problems and every time I vacuumed my back hurt afterward. For about 6 months, we use the Xiaomi V9 Pro vacuum cleaner and I recommend it to everyone whether you have pets or not, it’s wonderful! The difference between the old vacuum cleaner is like night and day!
I’m not trying to sound like someone from TelSell but this Xiao Mi V9 Pro (click here for the latest price on Amazon) has made a big difference when it comes to vacuum cleaning and my lower back!
- First of all, it saves me a lot of time (I’m done vacuuming the living room, kitchen, and couch within 20 minutes instead of 45 minutes with the old one).
- The suction is really strong, it removes hairs easily and fast, you’ll save money on vacuum bags.
- No electric cords so you can clean in one go without switching electric sockets.
- The dog hairs on our couch are gone instantly which I love because it used to take me ages to get rid of all the hairs on the couch even though our Toller Stippy is only allowed on his blanket when on the couch there are always still some hairs.
- It easily cleans every nook and cranny.
- The vacuum cleaner comes with a handy charger you mount on the wall somewhere out of sight in which you click it easily and you grab it as easily as well so no more rolling out the cord you just grab it fully charged and go.
- It cleans all surfaces equally very well. We have laminate flooring downstairs as well as carpet upstairs in our bedrooms and it performs great on both types of flooring, the filter is cleaned and emptied easily.
- The Xiaomi V9 Pro is also great and handy to use when you want to clean out your car.
- It comes with lots of extra attachments for all kinds of surfaces and usage.
So for me, this is the best buy ever when it comes to vacuuming and our Toller’s hairs, it really does make life easier in any case but especially with a shedding (Toller) dog!
Another tip when you have a Toller or another dog breed that sheds is to always have a lint roller for your clothes nearby! We have them everywhere in our house and in our car, can’t live without them anymore! Our Toller Stippy loves to cuddle which I love and enjoy of course. However, when he leaves my lap his ginger hairs remain on my clothes but not for long with the lint roller nearby!
So yes, Tollers shed but besides a good vacuum cleaner, brushing them regularly will also remove a lot of the loose hairs. And I like brushing Stippy. I also check his fur and skin while I’m at it and after brushing he looks even more gorgeous than he already is. I think Tollers are so beautiful, in every way! If you want to know more about grooming a Toller you can read all about that in my blog about Toller Grooming which has great tips and info about grooming and trimming.